Orientation for Students Using the Observation Booth
1. Entrance to the building is through the door under the canopy only. Push the buzzer and announce your name and purpose for coming - when observing for a class, state the course code and professor’s name. 2. Do not tailgate - which means following someone through the door without using the buzzer. If someone offers to do this - politely decline and say that you have to be buzzed in after you give your name. Also, do not hold the door for anyone else when it is unlocked for you. Parents all have prox cards that unlock the door. This is a security protocol to help keep our children safe.
3. Walk up the ramp inside and ask for a badge for the observation booth you will be using. There is a limit to the number of persons permitted to observe at anyone time - (usually 4) so if all badges are already assigned for the classroom you need, you may have to wait or come back at another time. You can check and see if someone will be leaving soon to decide if it is worth waiting.
4. For certain classes, there will be a clipboard labeled with your class/professor name for you to sign in and out.
5. If you do not have a specific clipboard to sign, please sign in on the visitor clipboard (make sure you are signing the visitor board and not the staff board).
6. Observation booths are open from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with the following exceptions:
a. Pre-K Comets class operates 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. only. The booth is accessed through the classroom (G4).
b. Caring and Sharing Booth (G7A) closed during lunch prep (11:00-11:30) and nap (1:00-3:00).
c. Zephyrs Booth (G5A) closed during lunch preparation and nap (11:00-11:30 and 1:00-3:00).
7. Booth Protocol
a. No conversations - be polite.
b. NO CELL PHONES PERMITTED. If you need to answer or make a call step out of the booth and move to one of the ends of the hall.
c. No food or drink, other than water.
8. Headphone Use - the headphones allow you to hear classroom interactions. The volume is already set - please do not make any adjustments to any of the settings. (Port adaptors available at the Main Office). If the system is not working when you try the headphones, please ask for assistance from a staff person. Make sure cords are looped and hung on the hooks so that they are not a trip hazard. Be careful not get caught in the cords.
9. Please if possible to not bring bulky backpacks with you - they take up too much space in the booths. Also, do not leave purses or any valuables unattended. This is a safety issue for the children - who especially when arriving or departing may slip into a booth - purses have many hazards. It is also a personal risk, and we cannot be responsible for your personal valuables.
10. If you have any questions, please stop by the Main Office and we will direct your question to the appropriate teacher and have them get back to you.
11. Best times to observe circle, free play, transitions and small group activities is 9:00-11:30 and 3:30-5:30, except for Pre-K, which is 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-3:00, just skipping lunch. You may observe at lunch if you wish.